Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Long Over-Due on What's Been Going On

It's been about three weeks since I posted something on this blog. I've unintentionally procrastinated. Here are just a few things that has been going on in the meantime:


Mom and Dad Campbell visited Fort Wayne! They got to stay with us for 4 days! It was so good to see them with PJ. Delaine was kind enough to change many diapers for us, joyfully! hahaha We just relaxed and had good conversations. Dan and Ethan talked about things we could do to help save money and be prepared for a plummeting economy. We had a couple of good walks too, where PJ fell asleep for the most part. :)





As you can see, Preston got loads of attention from Grandma and Grandpa! He LOVED all the attention, believe me! :)




Preston went to the Emergency Room a couple of weeks ago. This was his first time being very sick. I heard him crying in the baby monitor and let him cry for a good 10 minutes longer before I went to check on him (since the cry didn't sound like anything urgent or concerning). As I opened the door to his room, I noticed that he was sitting up in his crib and that his face was a bluish tint, and he had thrown up all over himself and the blanket and mattress. This was a scary scene, since he'd never done something like this before, and once I came in the room, he stopped crying and kind of went limp in my arms. I was trying to wipe off his face and hair, and change his outfit to clean himself off, but he couldn't seem to stop vomiting. I put him in a small bathtub with just a little water in it, to bathe him instead, and within a minute, he had thrown up again two times more, and had diarrehea in the tub. :( Poor little guy. He was breathing okay, but his face was still a pale blue, and he kept throwing up, so I called the Pediatricians Office. I spoke with a nurse in about a minute after calling, which was great, and she suggested taking him to the ER. Well, that was all I needed to hear. I took him to the ER within minutes, and the doctor and nurse there assessed the situation, took an X-ray of his chest (which looked good), and gave him two shots in the leg (one to stop the vomiting, and one as an antibiotic for an ear infection I never knew he had). I kept thinking, thank God he's still breathing, and he's in good hands. I know this sounds like I'm over-reacting, but believe me, the doctors didn't think so seeing how he was looking to them as well. Preston had a follow up appt. with a Pediatrician the next day who checked his ears again, and said that he most likely had a stomach bug coupled with the ear infection to cause his sudden and severe symptoms. This doctor thought that his face was probably tinted blue because he couldn't catch his breath while he was getting sick. He was put on a liquid diet for the week (he had just started eating solid food), and he was doing much better within a day or two.






Ethan had Outpatient surgery on his Right Maxillary Sinus cavity. He had been having chronic sinus infections that never seemed to totally go away in the past two years or so, and after a CAT scan, the ENT doctor found that Ethan had a cyst abnormally shaped only in this sinus cavity of all the the sinuses in the face. Ethan had kind of procrastinated on making the decision to have the procedure carried out, because it was surgery, and it needed recovery time, money, and there was no guarantee that this procedure would 'fix' the chronic sinus infection problem. Well, the surgery was carried out, and PJ and I waited from 1:30 to 6:45pm that day in the hospital. PJ did great considering... :) Let's just say that I'm glad I brought along some of his toys and a lot of diapers in his diaper bag (he had diarrhea several times while there).
There was a funny episode of diarrhea for PJ when I went to get something to eat from the hospital cafeteria. I had literally just changed his diaper so that this kind of thing wouldn't happen, but here I was no where near his diaper bag, with him on my hip, making those sounds you don't want to hear from his diaper vicinity, and I'm being handed the food I just ordered! hahaha Well, I had to figure out a way to hold the food, hold PJ (and in such a way that I wasn't squishing his diaper), pay for the food with a credit card (which needed my signature), and run back around the hallway, to the elevator, go up a level, and find the waiting room I was in to change his diaper! hahahah LOL So funny and nerve=wrecking! Just had to share that!
n
Preston is officially crawling now! He started to crawl the last day of July, and ever since, he is learning to get faster and more efficient at crawling, although I think he just wants to learn to walk, and the crawling is just the means by which he learns to do that. Some kids like to crawl much longer than others because they are just happy to do it, but I don't see PJ ending up being one of those kids. :) He's starting to get into anything and everything he can reach or get his hands on. I'm thinking, 'Here we go.....' :)



















Our 6th wedding anniversary was celebrated on Aug. 10th. This just happens to be the same anniv. date as Ethan's parents, which is very cool. We celebrated this day very casually. Ethan and I had a couple of friends watch PJ while we went out to lunch at Chipoltles (they make burritos as big as your head), and watched the wedding video in the late evening hours. It had been about 4 years since we had watched the video, and although I thought I'd be bored watching it, I wasn't at all. So many people I knew (and kids) had changed so much. :) It was a good anniversary. Six years has truly flown by. I'm sure they will continue to do this in the future.