Saturday, April 11, 2009

Woops--Mild Sprained Ankle

I was even consciously thinking to be safe and careful last night as I walked down some stairs in the dark, but miscalculated the last step (which ended up being the 2nd to last step) and took a tumble, resulting in a mild sprained ankle.

Can't tell you how discouraging it is to know that a little fall may end up stopping me from actually being able to run in the mini-marathon 3 weeks from now....

I'm able to stand up (slowly) and walk with a limp today, and that is encouraging to me, and the doctor tells me that I'll be walking comfortably within the next 4-5 days, which is also encouraging. The doctor is not really thinking that I'll be 'up' for running the race though, and recommended that if I feel pain, to stop altogether rather than pushing through it...

I am determined to get better as fast as possible, so I am resting the foot, icing it, wrapping it, and elevating it often. I am truly hopeful to be able to excerise (although lighter than normal) in a week (leaving me only a small amount of time to challenge the ankle before the race).

Although I am glad that it is just a mild sprain, today has been a little discouraging. :( I'm sure I'll feel better in no time, but will it be in enough time to finish my training, or even to run at all? Only time will tell... :)