Sunday, May 17, 2009

Update on Garden


This bed has the four tomatoe plants you can see, with some carrots (on the front-left) and bush beans (front-center). The stick in the bed shows me that I have just one area left to plant something if I need or want to.


a close up of a tomatoe plant. As you can see, it has some dead tissue on the leaves which I believe probably came from watering the plant on its leaves or rain, causing a plant bacteria to spread. I read about it on one of my books, but it's just a theory. I will try to water the plant under its leaves and on the soil more than on the leaves themselves from here on out. The cages could be placed on the plants anytime now.



The salad bowl plants (purple-red plants in front) used to look green just like the butter crunch lettuces, so this change of color surprised me. :) Also, the salad bowl lettuces seem to be growing better than the butter crunch lettuce. I wonder why...



I am happy to share that my plants aren't completely dead! YAY! So far, I've planted lettuce, green peppers, tomatoes, a cucumber plant, and yesterday I planted chives, carrots, and green beans.

I'll show pictures and place them on this post in a day or so. The plants aren't looking the best they could, but other than the cucumber plant, they look like they're trying to thrive at least. lol

As I am writing this, Ethan came into the office to share that he'd just taken a look at the beds and needed to push away another fecal-matter-find from a cat that just keeps thinking our beds are huge litter boxes. lol yuck. Not sure how to prevent this from happening. If you've got any ideas, feel free to let me know! :)